Legal Advice and Mediation

You can represent yourself in court, however, you should consider getting legal advice to better understand the law and court processes regarding civil matters.

Mediation is another option to help resolve any disputes you may have regarding a civil matter. The role of mediation is to encourage all parties involved in a civil matter to cooperate, and work out arrangements that are suitable to all. 

Please see more information on legal advice and representation, and mediation, below. 

Legal Advice and Representation

The Courts Service cannot advise or represent people in court. However, we can inform you that services offered by a qualified legal representative should include:

  • Advising you of your legal rights. 
  • Providing legal advice.
  • Outlining your options to reach an agreement, including mediation.  
  • Explaining the law and court procedures to you.
  • Preparing and submitting your paperwork.
  • Communicating with others involved in your civil matter.
  • Speaking on your behalf in court.

For example, a qualified solicitor can talk to you about your circumstances and the support services available. They can also manage your civil case and represent you in court.

    There are a number of nationwide organisations who can help you to access legal advice and representation. Some will charge you fees, but others may offer their services free of charge.

    For more information, please see our support services page. 

    If you decide to represent yourself, you will need to understand court procedures. For more information on relevant Civil Law procedures, please see our Civil Law page. 


    Mediation helps to resolve any disputes you may have regarding civil matters. It is a confidential service. Mediators are neutral. Their role is to encourage all parties to cooperate and work out arrangements that are suitable to all. The outcome of this process is a mediated agreement. During mediation, all parties can meet with the mediator together or separately.

    Professional mediators are available nationwide, whose sole profession is to offer this service. Many legal professionals are also trained mediators, so check their professional credentials for mediation expertise. You might also check local directories in your area for financial support services that offer a mediation service. As professionals they will charge you fees for their services.

    Your mediated agreement can be changed or amended as needed. If your mediated agreement is part of a court order, you will need to go to court to do this.

    If you have hired a solicitor, they are required by law to inform you about mediation. 

    For more information about mediation services available nationwide, please see our support services page.