Ending a Civil Partnership

When civil partners cannot agree about how they will separate, either of them can apply to the courts for a Decree of Dissolution. This decree formally ends a civil partnership. Ending a civil partnership can impact a number of your circumstances and may be complicated. 

You might want to get legal advice to better understand what's involved. 

Can I end my civil partnership?

You may be able apply to end a civil partnership if the following statements describe your relationship:

  • You have been living apart from one another for a period amounting to two out of the previous three years before the application is made.
  • You have made or will make proper arrangements for both civil partners and any dependent children.

Things to consider

When making an order to end a civil partnership, a judge has to make sure that proper provision is made for you, your civil partner and dependent children. The judge will consider any agreements that you reach and any existing court orders.

When ending a civil partnership, you may need think about reaching an agreement on a number of things. The most common are:

  • Arranging to live apart
  • Arrangements for children
  • Maintenance
  • The family home
  • Money, assets and pensions

How to apply?

The court process for making an application to end a civil partnership is similar to making a divorce application. For guidance, visit the divorce process page. You will need to make sure that your court application to end a civil partnership is correct. You may also need to reference the legislation and Circuit Court rules.